At the inception of Delta Sigma Theta in 1913 at Howard University, the founders envisioned an organization of college women pledged to serious endeavor and community service. These youthful students demonstrated a vital concern for social welfare, academic excellence, and cultural enrichment, and de-emphasized the social side of sorority life. Their ideals of scholarship and service have withstood the test of time, and today, Delta Sigma Theta is an international public service sorority, dedicated to a program of sharing membership skills and organizational services in the public interest. In 1930, the Grand Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta was incorporated as a national organization.
In the spring of 1959, thirteen concerned Deltas felt the need for an alumnae chapter in the Northern Virginia Area. Eula Miller
(deceased), Nellie Grayson (deceased), Oline Richardson, Dorothy Hamm Moore, Laura McPhail, Nellie Quander, Doris Thompson Woods, Signora Collins (deceased), Izzetta Callahan, Aeolus Brooks, Ruth Owens, Eddie Mims, and Mary Robinson (deceased), founded the Alexandria Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., and were its charter members. By 1972, the Chapter's membership had grown to 37; by 1982, the membership stood at 118; and by 1990, the chapter size had reached 169.
Due to the increased presence of Deltas located in the many communities of Northern Virginia who elected to affiliate with the Alexandria Chapter, the membership voted in 1977 to change the Chapter's name from Alexandria Alumnae to Northern Virginia Alumnae.
When the decade
of the 90's ended, the Chapter's membership stood at nearly
200. Currently, membership is over 350. It is one of the largest
chapters in the Sorority. The Chapter's programs serve youth
and senior citizens and provide for the common good.